Pumpkin Puree Tutorial:1.Cut pumpkins in 1/2 and seed.
2. Place cut side down on a lined cookie sheet and bake @350 for about 1 1/2 hrs! Its done when its fork tender! 3. Let cool for about 20 min. or so! Then scrape the pumpkin meat out of the skins in to a bowl! If your pumpkin flesh is wet or soupy it will need to be strained or run through a mill. (I just pored the liquid off mine)
5. Put pumpkin in freezer safe containers....I just used my wide mouth jars! I ended up with 4 pint jars plus 2 cups I left aside to make a double batch of pumpkin scones!
My scones turned out a bit heavy.....but I think it was because my towel recipe did not say to add baking soda and/or powder! I think next time I will go ahead and add some.....that should make them lighter and rise a bit!
Also I added some ingredients to the pumpkin puree that I used for the scones....pie spice,cinnamon,salt and 3 teaspoons brown sugar. (store bought canned pumpkin has similar things in it)
I want to add, it is not safe to "can" pureed pumpkin.
Only whole pumpkin chunks can safely be canned to be shelf stable.
I froze my puree. (in the jars)
Happy pumpkin season to all~
There is no shortage @ my house!
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Little Miss Olivia loves to cook (as do all my kiddos)! The other day it was her turn to help me in the kitchen! We loaded both bread makers, made banana bread and some homemade granola bars!
I found a really neat recipe for the granola bars using coconut oil instead of butter or veggie oil!
Granola Bar Recipe:
* 2 cups rolled oats
* 1/2 cup wheat germ
* 1/4 cup ground flax seed
* 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
* 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/4 fresh ground nutmeg
* 1/2 cup honey
* 1 Lg egg beaten
* 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil (you could use peanut butter for a change)
* 3/4 cup dried fruit ie: raisins,currants,chopped apricots,cherries!(optional)
* 1/4 cup nuts ie: almonds,walnuts,pecans,peanuts or sunflower seeds! (optional)
* 1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Preheat oven to 350
Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
Mix dry ingredients together then make a well in the bowl and add the wet stuff!
Press mixture into baking dish.
Bake for 3o-35 minutes until the edges are golden brown!
Cool for about 5 minutes then cut! The bars will harden as they cool so cut while still warm!